Date Wednesday 8th June 9.30am – 1pm at weltec Petone
Introduction to Digital Forensics – PIVOT Lab – Forensics Image Extraction Junior IT Taster 2022
A forensic image is an electronic copy of drive (e.g., a hard drive, USB, etc). It’s a bit-by-bit or
bitstream file that is an exact, unaltered copy of the media being duplicated.
This short course is designed to introduce students to Forensic Imaging.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
• Understand the concept of forensic image
• Understand the reasons for forensic imaging:
o Prevents tampering with the original data evidence
o Allows you to play around with the copy, without worrying about messing up the original
• Learn how to image a drive
• Learn how to extract evidence from a drive image
– Define forensic imaging.
– Process and procedures on imaging a drive and extracting evidence from a drive image