OU Health Foundation Year Scholarship For Yr13 Māori Students
A University of Otago, Foundation Year Scholarship Opportunity for Year 13 Māori students interested in health-related study.
Tēnā koutou katoa
Ngā mihi mahana ki a koutou katoa. The University of Otago, Māori Health Workforce Development Unit, Tū Kahika scholarship is now open. This scholarship supports Māori students through a full year pre-university health sciences course to best prepare them for the Otago University Health Science First Year Programme and further tertiary health-related study.
At its core, the Tū Kahika scholarship programme is about whānau and provides wrap-around academic, cultural and pastoral support for students.
Selected Scholarship Students receive:
– Guaranteed placement into Arana or Studholme Residential college
– $10,000 towards residential college cost
– A Kaiārahi / dedicated support staff member to support the transition to University and study
– Additional academic support
– Professional and Cultural development
Health Sciences First Year – Medicine, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy & Medical Laboratory Science study.
Students interested in Medicine, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy or Medical Lab Sciences study at the University of Otago, must complete the Health Science First Year (HSFY) course. It is a challenging course and therefore we highly recommended that all students coming into HSFY have a high level of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math exposure prior to entering. The Foundation Year course is specifically designed to support students to be as prepared as possible to enter the HSFY course.
Tū Kahika is a scholarship opportunity that support Māori students that may;
– Have exposure to sciences however feel uncertain about transitioning into University life,
– Have a gap in their sciences or wish to ‘fine-tune’ their science skills
– Desire a kaupapa Māori environment during their study
– Wish to be provided with additional academic, pastoral and cultural development
Foundation Studies is available for all students however for the Tū Kahika Scholarship. Successful applicants must:
– Have Māori Whakapapa (ancestry)
– Show a commitment to Māori Health
– Be in Year 13 or a recent school leaver
Applications open and close 15th of August 2019. http://www.otago.ac.nz/mhwdu/tukahika/index.html
For information of the University of Otago, Foundation Year course please visit: https://www.otago.ac.nz/uolcfy/foundation-year/index.html